In yesterday’s post, I highlighted a portable gaming device that is coming out early next year. If you want something that is hitting a bit sooner (Sept 2019, to be precise), the the Nintendo Switch Lite is in your wheelhouse.
If you’re in to portable video gaming, the Nintendo Switch is, no-doubt, on your radar. It bridged (and bridges) the gap between a portable, hand-held system and one that is an at-home console. If that at-home portion is less critical for you, and you’d like to save $100, that’s where the Nintendo Switch Lite is hitting the right notes.
Along with the price differential, this new Nintendo Switch Lite has a smaller screen than the original, and it also does not have the detachable controllers, but does manage to offer longer battery life. So, there are a mix of tradeoffs here, but I think for anyone that’s a casual game player (and I’d raise my hand here), the lower cost and longer battery life are immediate wins, especially since the existing Switch catalog (so long as it supports handheld mode) is coming along for the ride. Hardware is great, but if there’s no software to go along with it, well, it’s just a paperweight.
As I mentioned up top, the Nintendo Switch Lite is coming out in September, though some pre-ordering for the device is available. At $200 it’s not, perhaps, and impulse buy, but I’ve a feeling it’s going to be a rather popular one once the gift giving seasons hit (and they work out whatever supply hiccups happen upon launch). nintendo.com
Tech Specs from Nintendo
- Approximately 3.6 inches high, 8.2 inches long, and .55 inches deep
- The depth from the tip of the analog sticks to the tip of the ZL/ZR buttons is 1.12 inches
- Weight: Approx. .61 lbs
- Screen: Capacitive touch screen / 5.5 inch LCD / 1280×720 resolution
- CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor
- Storage: 32 GB of internal storage, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. Users can easily expand storage space using microSDHC or microSDXC cards up to 2TB (sold separately).
- Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac)
- Bluetooth 4.1 / NFC (near field communication)
- Left Stick
- Right Stick
- A/B/X/Y/L/R/ZL/ZR/+/- Buttons
- Control Pad
- Power Button
- Volume Button
- HOME Button
- Capture Button
- USB connector: USB Type-C (Used for charging only)
- Headphone/mic jack: 3.5mm audio jack
- Game card slot: Nintendo Switch game cards
- microSD card slot:
- Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards.
- Once the microSDXC card is inserted, a system update will be necessary. An Internet connection is required to perform this system update
- Sensor: Accelerometer / gyroscope
- Operating environment: 41-95 degrees F / 20-80% humidity
- Internal battery: Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 3570mAh
- Battery life:
- Model number: HDH-001
- Approx. 3.0 to 7.0 hours
- The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 4 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
- Charging time: Approx. 3 hours (When charging while the hardware is in sleep mode