There are all manner of health and wellness apps out there. As a matter fact, you probably have one or another of them – if nothing other than the default ones that come with your smartphone (Google Fit or Apple Health). Well, if you don’t mind sharing all that you’re logging, KrowdFit is another app that can give you a chance at some cash.
KrowdFit got its start as an enterprise solution that companies could use to encourage their employees to live healthier lives (generally in conjunction with their health insurance program). Now, they’ve decided to go direct-to-consumer, allowing you a chance as some of their various prizes:
- $600 Bi-Monthly Mindfulness Cash Giveaway: Six winners are selected twice a month to split a $300 cash prize at $50 each. Members can earn one entry per five minutes of mindfulness, with a maximum of two entries per day.
- $1,500 Weekly Meal Logging Cash Giveaway: Twelve winners are selected weekly to split a $1,500 cash prize at $125 each. Members can earn one entry per meal logged, with a maximum of five entries per day.
- $2,000 Monthly Sleep Cash Giveaway: Eight winners are selected monthly to split a $2,000 cash prize at $250 each. Members can earn up to three entries per day for eight hours of sleep.
- $5,000 Quarterly Steps Cash Giveaway: Two winners are selected quarterly to split a $5,000 cash prize at $2,500 each. Members can earn one entry for 5,000 steps or four entries per day.
- $20,000 Quarterly Physical Activity Giveaway: Four winners are selected quarterly to split a $20,000 cash prize at $5,000 each. Members can earn one entry for 30 minutes of activity or a maximum of four entries per day.
On it’s surface, that seems kind of interesting, right? But the thing is – where is the cash for this coming from? Sure, you can signup for a membership ($1.99 / month or $17.99 / year), but it’s starting place is the low, low price of free.
That means that, as the consumer, need to ask what you’re trading away.
And what that is is data. At some level, we’re all used to giving away some
level of our personal data for the various conveniences that we use every
single day on the internet, be it social networking, online shopping, and the
like. Here, my best guess is that all of your data – meal logging, fitness,
mindfulness, and the like – is being aggregated and then sold to who knows
where. And yes, I am all but certain that this data is indeed being sold.
Could it be used to help insurance companies craft offerings? Sure! Could
So, can you have a crack at these cash prizes from KrowdFit for things you’re already doing (and likely already quantifying)? Yes, you can. No idea on what the odds are of winning. The odds that your personal health and wellness data could end up being used in ways you’d rather not have happen? I’m going to say that’s better than even. If you want to try it out, go right ahead – but this is not an app I intend to put onto my phone. krowdfit.com
All products recommended by Knapsack are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.