Well, not that the design itself is two years old – it’s just that we’ve hit version 2.0, you see. They’ve taken what has been one of their most popular jacket designs (myself, I’ve been partial to the Tropiformer) and updated it.
So, what does the SCOTTeVEST Essential Jacket give you? Well, for starters, as with all SeV stuff, you get a metric ton of pockets. In this case, you’ve got 24 pockets to stash your stuff – 9 exterior, and the remainder on the interior. Also, since this is a jacket you’ll be traveling with, you’ve also got the capability to zip the sleeves off and turn it into a vest. That may sound like a gimmick, but it’s actually pretty useful. When we travelled to Italy (over a decade ago) I took my Tropiformer along for a lightweight layer. Well, it was quite warm, so the off the sleeves came (comfort increased!) but I still had the capability to carry everything I needed all within the jacket for the days outings.
And really, while the SCOTTeVEST Essential Jacket is positioned as a great jacket for travel, you’ll find all those pockets useful to have for even day-to-day sorts of things. Sure, you could plop various handy EDC items into a small pouch or satchel to carry – or you could just load up your jacket and have it ready to roll out the door whenever you need it, you know?
Coming in at $200 (for either the mens or the womens style) the SCOTTeVEST Essential Jacket is not as inexpensive as what you’re likely to find at your local big box for a spring jacket, but that’s not what we’re about. With this jacket, you’re going to get capability and functionality that really no other jacket is going to touch. And if my Tropiformer experience is anything to go by, you’ll get years and years of use out of it as well. scottevest.com
Details from SCOTTeVEST
- Product Name:Essential Jacket 2.0 – Men’s
- Pocket Count:24
- Description:The Essential 2.0 is a 2020 update to our most popular travel jacket.? With tons of useful features, 24 pockets and zip-off sleeves (so you can wear it as a jacket or vest), the Essential 2.0 will be your go-to jacket for moderate weather.? It is perfect for both travel adventures and a trip to the office or grocery store.
- Fit Notes:The Essential Jacket 2.0 fits true to size.?Sizing Chart
- Material:58% Cotton, 42% Nylon
- Product Weight:2.00 lb.
- Garment Care:Machine wash cold with like colors. Do not bleach. Tumble dry low. Cool iron if needed. Can be dry cleaned. Close all zippers before laundering. Remove all electronic devices, wires, keychain and RFID pocket before washing.?
All products recommended by Knapsack are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.