Back over the summer, we told you that Fossil had released their Gen 6 smartwatches, that were the first to use the new Snapdragon 4100 internals (see that here). It was just a matter of time for those to hit the other brands in the Fossil group, and today, the Skagen Falster Gen 6 was announced.
In terms of the internals, the Skagen Falster Gen 6 has the same bits and bobs that the Fossil had. And realistically, you should expect a similar experience, with the WearOS platform in there. So, really, what you’re going for here is the Skagen design language, as opposed to that of Fossil.
Even the pricing of the Skagen Falster Gen 6 ($295) is within the range of the Fossil-branded ones. So, again, it’s really a matter of going for the look that you prefer. Perhaps there are some deeper differences that I’m not seeing, but this does have very much the feel of the badge engineering that we saw from the Detroit auto brands in the 80s, where cars looked mostly identical other than the name badge on the trunk lid.
Though, with the Skagen Falster Gen 6, you are benefitting from a platform that has now been in the wild for three months, so any launch issues from the Fossil version (not that we’ve heard of any, just conjecture) would have been able to be sorted, allowing for a smoother experience for the customer. Check out the new watches directly at skagen.com
Details from Skagen
- FASTER CHARGING SPEED: 2x greater than before, reaching 80% in almost 30 minutes.
- SNAPDRAGON WEAR 4100+: The latest platform offers an increased performance of +30%* with rapid app loading, rapid processor and lower power consumption.
- AWARD-WINNING DESIGN: Elevated, sleek style. Our approach to designing a smartwatch doesn’t stray from our traditional intentions for creating: Simple, purposeful, versatile design—hallmarks of our Danish aesthetic.
- WEAR IT HOW YOU WANT IT: Customizable dials and stylish straps for every look.
- LET’S TALK: Make and take phone calls right on your wrist while connected to any smartphone.
- GET ANSWERS ON THE GO: Ask Google to manage daily tasks, plan your day, or get answers, all while on the go
- Snapdragon Wear 4100+ Platform
- Wear OS by GoogleTM
- 8GB storage, 1GB RAM
- Touchscreen, Rotating Home Button, 2 Configurable Push Buttons
- Microphone, Loudspeaker, Vibration
- Bluetooth 5.0 LE, WiFi, GPS, NFC SE
- PPG Heart Rate, SpO2, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Altimeter, Off-body IR, Ambient Light Sensors
- Water Resistant (Up to 3ATM)
- Rapid Charging (Approximately 30 minutes to 80%)
- Display Area: 1.28” Full Round AMOLED (326 ppi)
- Case Size: 42 mm
- Case Material: Stainless steel
- Thickness: 11.5 mm
- Strap Compatibility: 20 mm Straps and Bracelets
- Always-on display now brighter with more colors Google apps and services, including Google Assistant, Google PayTM, Google FitTM & thousands of apps from Google Play
- Notifications for calls, texts and apps
- Automatic time, time zone and calendar syncing Make and take phone calls while connected to any smartphone
- Optimize your battery life with newly simplified Smart Battery Modes
- Play music with your favorite music apps, including offline playback for premium YouTube Music and Spotify Premium users