I know, I know – we normally bring you this series on Friday afternoon. Well, the website had some other ideas for us, so what better way to celebrate getting things back from the brink than sharing a cold one. In this case, a cold one that hasn’t seen shelves for many a year – the Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA.
The last time Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA was produced was in 2007 – so definitely before I got into the finer offerings out there in the beer world. And even if you’ve got a buddy who is super into beer, this is one they have missed back then as well.
So, what is a black IPA? Given the change in malts used, you get that darker color. This gives you a slightly different nose and taste than what you’ll pick up from those summertime hazy bois, yet it won’t need to take you into the world of stouts and porters (if you don’t want to; me? I’m happy to mix them in in the cold months). If you want to read up more on this style, check out this article over on Flavourly.
So, just in case the Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA takes another 14-year break, you might want to check out your local shop and see if it’s made it in. You should find it in 12 oz bottle 6-packs, and 22 oz bottles. As for us, we’re working to get some samples in, so we can let you know what we think of this “blast from the past”. stonebrewing.com
Details from Stone Brewing
- Name: Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA
- Release Date: Week of January 4, 2021
- Web: Stonebrewing.com/sublimely
- Stats: 8.7% ABV; 90 IBUs
- BeerAdvocate Score: 94
- Availability: Nationwide Special Release
- Packaging: 12oz six-pack bottles, 22oz bottles & draft
- Appearance: Black with reddish hue, light tan head and lively foam with good lacing
- Aroma: Coffee, black currant, chocolate, piney, citrus, tropical fruit
- Taste: Dark and milk chocolate, orange, raspberry, pine resin, tropical fruit, with hints of coffee
- Palate: Medium body with solid bitterness and a nice drying character on the finish
- Starters: Smoked Rib Tips**, Deep Fried Tofu with Orange Sauce, Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, Stuffed Grape Leaves Salads/Soups: Caesar Salad, Thai-Style Salad, Potato Bacon Soup, French Onion Soup Main Courses: True Craft Burger*, Competition Ribs (Smoked St-Louis Style Ribs), Pork Katzu with Ponzu Sauce, Duck a l’Orange, BBQ Jack Fruit, Chile Rellenos
- Desserts: Whiskey in a Jar (Chocolate Cake w/Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard Ale, toffee, bananas, chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream), Cheesecake, Flourless Chocolate Cake, Dried Candied Orange Slices dipped in Chocolate
- *Menu items available at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Escondido and Liberty Station
- ** Menu items available at Stone Brewing – Napa
All products recommended by Knapsack are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.